Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Week 4 Blog

Integrating ICT into the MFL classroom: The benefits of podcasting in the classroom

I thought this video was very educational. It talks about some of the benefits of using podcasting in the classroom. It is very effective on students' interaction outside of classrooms. Today's students are familiar with the way they learn from podcasts, which becomes relevant to their education. Podcasting allows differentiation and project based learning.
It also gives student access to higher order thinking skills in Bloom's taxonomy. It promotes creativity and innovation as well as offering distance learning opportunities for absent students. Podcasting is simple and easy to use and allows different range of creativity. Students have the opportunity to record role plays in character making their learning more memorable. Finally, it allows parents to see and hear what is going on with their children at school. These are some great benefits.

I believe these benefits are amazing! I did not think I was going to use podcast in the future, but after watching this video and hearing some of these benefits, I may consider using podcast in the future. I would have to work on the podcast to make it useful with the possibility of having hearing disability students in my class. Of course, I could always work around these students; however, I believe it is important that all of the students are on the same page on some level.

4 comments:

  1. I like what you had to say about Character roll play making their learning more memorable. Using creativity to enhance learning is always a good thing. I really loved listening to 1st graders share about a book they read. I was blown away by their comprehension skills as well as their creativity. I also had not thought about the benefits of the parents getting to hear what their children are learning. What an incredible opportunity for the parents to get a peak inside the classroom without living their office.

    I,too, did not think I would used podcasting in the future. However,after visiting some of these sites and getting great ideas, I have changed my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you pointed out how podcasting could help absent students learn information along with their class and that parents can see what is happening in their child's classroom! I never really thought about that, but that makes podcasting sound like a wonderful tool. Parents always want to really know what is going on in the classroom and love to see the way that their children are learning. Absent kids always get behind if they are just handed work, but with the podcast videos that can really help them learn along with the class. That's awesome!

    I will also be using podcasting in the future. I think it will be such a great learning/review tool. Great post, Tiffany!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you were able to listen to these. Great! How did you do it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lipread it. It had a person on the video and there were a couple of captions on the video.

    ReplyDelete