Sunday, February 28, 2010

Week 7 Blog

DR. RICHARD MILLER: THIS IS HOW WE DREAM

In all honesty, I do not think I will be prepared to write with multi-media. I would to try though because I think it will be interesting. As for my future students, I think they will be able to do this considering how children are learning at earlier ages now. If they believe in themselves, then they should be able to do it. I would probably be able to write with multi-media if I had more faith in myself with technology. I only know enough about technology just to get by. I will have a lot to learn in the future.

In the video, I think I heard Dr. Miller saying something about getting away with reading and writing and do more with listening and watching. If he did say something like that, then I am not sure how I feel about that. I think we should rely on all four techniques no matter what. Being hearing impaired, it would be hard for me to listen considering how I cannot comprehend what is being said. I rely so much on visual learning than I do on listening learning.

I also think it is important to keep the writing and reading skills as well as gaining listening and watching skills. All four technique will help advance our knowledge all together. However, I think many people will probably choose listening and watching because they are faster. Yeah sure, listening and watching may be faster, but how is the pace of learning going to make any difference? It should not matter which technique is a faster way to learn as long as you not only learn it but understand it as well.



WENDY DREXLER: THE NETWORKED STUDENT

This may be an interesting video. I am not sure how I feel about this. The only thing I like about the video is the word connectivism. This type of learn is where students can connect and learn from other people all over the world. The only reason I like this word is because I think it is important to learn from other people, whether it is educational or personal. It will help students to gain knowledge about what is going on around them.

I do not think I can handle teaching the networked students. I am more of a hands on kind of person. When I say hands-on, I meant I would rather teach students in person than from online because this way I can help students immediately in classroom if needed. Beside, I would like to make sure that students understand everything and are doing their work.

Another reason I would not teach the networked students is because it is not guaranteed that students are motivated to do the online work on their own. Some students may be motivated to do homework, but what about the others who are not interested in doing homework. Plus, only going to school 3 days a week is probably not effective for students in high school and lower. Unless they are really active, how can we protect them from doing wrong things? Unless I am hearing this the wrong way about the networked student, I probably would not teach networked student.



TOWARDS A NEW FUTURE OF WHATEVER BY MICHAEL WESCH


It seems that Mr. Wesch was talking about the future is becoming a whatever evolution. That is an interesting thought. He goes on talking about how the media is changing the culture and each generation is different from the other generation. I think he calls my generation the MTV generation which is understandable and true. It make sense to call us the MTV generation because we do have short attention spans and we are narcissistic. This generation is changing based on media because we tends to learn from it and it affects us.

1 comment:

  1. "... it is not guaranteed that students are motivated to do the online work on their own. " And this applies to some college students as well, although most in Class B are not that type. In the future workers will have to be constantly learning, unlike previous times. How will we produce effective workers if we do not teach them to be self-directed learners? It seems essential to me!

    "... and we are narcotic. " I think you mean narcissistic.

    ReplyDelete