Sunday, March 28, 2010

WEEK 11: An Open Letter to Educators by Morgan Bayda



This is an interesting piece of reading and the video by Dan Brown that went along with the reading was crazy (which by the way, I was able to turn on the close captions). Both of these pieces made a point about being in class listening to lectures and determining whether students are paying attention. Morgan talked about how some lecture tends to put people to sleep because it's boring. I agree with that. There have been days where the professor will talk in a monotone voice during the entire class and my mind seems to drift away into another world that seem more entertaining and my eyes seem to trying really hard to close while I try really hard to keep them open. During these times, I am having to give a little slap on my face just to wake up. Dan made a point that it would be easier to learn online because it is more efficient and it would not be as boring as it is to listen to the professor who is teaching nothing but facts. Facts that may or may not be relevant to us in the real world. I am having trouble to decide if I agree with this philosophy or not. I think that learning in classrooms provide a good deal to prepare us into the real world. It may not be what we want to know but it could help us. But either way, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and Dan made some really good points. I believe that teachers should really look at their lesson plans and see if there is a way to make their lecture more interesting and not putting students to sleep. If they can do that, then maybe everyone will be a happy camper.

1 comment:

  1. What suggestions do you have for turning lectures into events that will keep students awake (and also keep their attention, I would add)? This is a serious question that needs a serious answer.

    ReplyDelete